Kerala Basic Information – PSC Notes
Here is some necessary information about the state Kerala. This note will be useful for teachers and students who are preparing for exams like PSC, USS, LSS etc.
Kerala Basic Information – Notes for PSC Exams
The Kerala state was formed on 1 November 1956. Thiruvananthapuram is the capital of Kerala. Kerala stands first in literacy rate among the Indian states. Kerala has a third position in the population density.
- Kerala is the 13th most populous state in India.
- Kerala had the 15th position in the total number of Scheduled Castes and 23rd in Scheduled Tribes.
- Kerala occupies the 22nd place in the area. The total area of Kerala is 38,863 square kilometres.
- The geographical location of Kerala: Kerala lies between north latitudes 8°.17′.30″ N and 12°. 47′.40″ N and east longitudes 74°.27’47” E and 77°.37′.12″ E.
- The boundaries of Kerala
- West: Arabian Sea
- North East: Karnataka
- South East: Tamil Nadu
- The length of Kerala’s Coastal land is about 580 Kilo Meters.
- There are seven different varieties of soils in Kerala.
- The official flower of Kerala is Kanikkonna (Golden Shower Tree/ Indian Laburnum).
- The official tree of Kerala is Coconut tree.
- The official bird of Kerala is Malamuzhakki Vezhambal (Anchovy Hornbill).
- The official animal of Kerala is Elephant.
- The official fish of Kerala is Karimeen (Carp).
- Kerala has a total of 14 districts.
- Malappuram district with the highest population and the lowest is Wayanad district.
- The revenue divisions in Kerala are 21.
- The number of Taluks: 75
- The number of Villages: 1535
- Number of District Panchayats: 14
- Number of Block Panchayats: 152
- Number of Grama Panchayats: 941
- The number of Municipalities in Kerala is 87.
- Number of Corporations: 6
- Number of Cantonment: 1 (Kannur)
- Guruvayoor is the only township in Kerala.
- There are 140 Assembly Constituencies in Kerala.
- The number of Lok Sabha Constituencies in Kerala is 21.
- There are 9 Rajya Sabha seats in Kerala.
- There are 4 Regional Passport Offices in Kerala. They are Malappuram, Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode.
- The number of National Highways(NH) in Kerala is 9 (1747.251 km).
- Total length of Kerala PWD (Public Works Department) Roads is 31811.601 km.
- The total length of Railway in Kerala is 1257 km.
- The length of Inland Waterway: 1895 km.
- There are a total of 18 Sea Ports in Kerala.
- The number of Railway Stations in Kerala is 188.
- There are four Airports in Kerala. They are Thiruvananthapuram, Nedumbassery, Kozhikode, and Cochin. Among these Thiruvananthapuram, Nedumbassery, and Kozhikode are International Airports (3 International Airports in Kerala). Kochi airport is under the Defense Department.
- There are mainly five Passes in Kerala.
- There are a total of 44 Rivers in Kerala. Among them, the three rivers are flowing east, and other 41 rivers are flowing west.
- There are 26 Mountains in Kerala.
These are some basic facts about Kerala state. These notes are optimised for competitive exams like Kerala PSC, and many school level exams. If you need notes on any other topics about Kerala, please let us know (mail [at] pscnet.in).