PSC General Knowledge Questions – PDF Download
Here are the PSC General Knowledge Questions, you may also download the PDF document of the questions. These are most repeated questions.
PSC General Knowledge Questions
1. Name the only tribal leader whose portrait is present in the Central Hall of the Indian Parliament?
Ans: Birsa Munda
2. The strange hobby of visiting cemeteries and enjoying funerals is known as:
3. Which British newspaper is known in the nickname of ‘The Earl Grey Lady’?
Ans: The Guardian
4. The Berne Convention of 1886 was the first international agreement governing:
5. Who were the signatories of the Indus Water Treaty of 1960?
Ans: Jawaharlal Nehru & Ayub Khan
6. Who was the first military dictator of Pakistan?
Ans: General Ayub Khan
7. Which fort in Karnataka is famous by the legend of Onake Obavva?
Ans: Chitradurga fort
8. Which British Colonel led wars in India later became the Prime Minister of Britain?
Ans: Colonel Arthur Wellesley
9. Who wrote the military manual ‘Fathul Mujahidin’ at the instruction of Tippu Sultan?
Ans: Zainul Abedin Shustari
10. Any industry located in a rural area which produces any goods or renders any service with or without the use of power and in which the fixed capital investment per head of a worker does not exceed one lakh rupees is known as:
Ans: Village Industry
11. The film industry of which Indian state is colloquially known as the ‘Bollywood’?
12. The terms of ‘tin, telltale, oak tree, Philadelphia and die’ are associated with which racquet game?
13. Name the Jamaican author of the book ‘A Brief History of Seven Killings’?
Ans: Marlon James
14. What was the popular name of ‘A Brief Memorandum Outlining a Plan of Economic Development for India’, prepared by a group of industrialists in 1944?
Ans: Bombay Plan
15. Which Article of the Indian Constitution deals with ‘Gram Sabha’?
16. The medicines sold directly to a consumer without a prescription is known as:
Ans: Over-the Counter drugs (OTC)
17. Which tree so common in the African continent is known as the Fever Tree?
Ans: Vachellia xanthoploea
18. What is measured in the Scoville scale?
Ans: Pungency of chilli peppers
19. Which international organization prepares ‘Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger’?
20. Which Indian state’s major spoken language is Kumaoni?
21. Which is the first Grama Panchayat in Kerala to declare its own water policy?
Ans: Perumanna (Kozhikode District)
22. The presence of which biological molecules are detected through the Molisch’s test?
23. Which Ocean’s marginal seas are the Beaufort Sea & Chukchi Sea?
Ans: Arctic Ocean
24. Which chemical is also known in the nickname of ‘the English Salt’?
Ans: Magnesium sulphate
25. The lake Tsomgo, famous for its changing colors is situated in which Indian state?
26. Which award is instituted by Union Home Ministry for honouring persons who show courage in saving the life & property of members of another community or caste?
Ans: Kabeer Puraskar
27. Name the rebellion occurred in Chhotanagpur during the period of 1820-1837?
Ans: Kol rebellion
28. What was the way of Satyagraha by the first individual Satyagraha Vinoba Bhave?
Ans: Making anti-war speech
29. In which year Jahangir issued the Charter to East India Company for establishing the trade establishments in India?
30. Which important incident occurred in Indian history on 9th August 1925?
Ans: Kakori Train Robbery
31. In which year the Constitution for India was drafted by the Nehru Committee?
32. Through which mission the British Government for the first time recognized ‘the Right of Dominion for India’?
Ans: Cripps Mission
33. Who was the Vice-President of the Interim Government formed in 1946?
Ans: Jawaharlal Nehru
34. Who is known as the Father of Renaissance of Western India’?
Ans: M.G. Ranade
35. Who founded the Widow Marriage Association in 1861?
Ans: M.G. Ranade
36. Who was the Political Guru of Gopal Krishna Gokhale & Bal Gangadhar Tilak?
Ans: M.G. Ranade
37. Who is often called as ‘the Hindu Luther of Northern India’?
Ans: Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar
38. Which river enters India through Shipki La from Tibet?
39. In which Union Territory is the Saddle Peak National Park situated?
Ans: Andaman & Nicobar Islands
40. Which is the only tributary of Ganga that rises in the plains?
41. Which was the first country to grant voting rights to women in 1893?
Ans: New Zealand
42. Who is the only scientist to lead India’s both Antarctic and Arctic expedition teams?
Ans: Rasik Ravindra
43. Which art form is the combination of Mohiniyattam & Kathakali?
Ans: Kerala Natanam
44. Which element has the highest melting point?
45. Name the Swedish chemist, who was the first to describe the Global warming & Greenhouse effect in 1896?
Ans: Svante Arrhenius
46. Which’ is the only state party to perform as the main opposition in the Lok Sabha?
Ans: Telugu Desam Party
47. Which is the largest tribal community in India?
Ans: The Santals
48. Who did the first scientific attempt to calculate the national income of India in 1931-32?
Ans: Dr. V.K. Rao
49. Name the Pakistani economist who was behind the preparation of the first Human Development Report published by UNDP?
50. Who translated Edwin Arnold’s ‘Light of Asia’ into Malayalam?
Ans: Nalappat Narayana Menon
51. Which element is used to coat the photocopying drum of Xerox machine?
52. Which spiritual leader’s throne is the Lion Throne?
Ans: Dalai Lama
53. In India, where is Nasi I and Nasi II islands are situated?
Ans: Gahirmatha Marine Sanctuary (Odisha)
54. Which metal is industrially produced through the Kroll Process?
55. Whose birthday is observed as the World Thinking Day?
Ans: Robert Baden Powell (February 22)
56. Which international service club was founded by Paul P Harris in 1905?
Ans: Rotary International
57. Which city hosted the first regular session of the U N General Assembly?
58. Which organisation is the largest vaccine supplies of the world?
59. Where is India’s first and only military base outside its territory is situated?
Ans: Farkhor (Tajikistan)
60. Which was the first Indian company to be listed on the American Stock Exchange NASDAQ?
61. Which local wind has the nickname of ‘Doctor’?
62. The main source of lead, zinc ores in India, the Zawar mines are located in which state?
63. In which year was the’ Twenty point programme introduced for the first time?
64. Which scheme’s component is ‘Sneha Shivir’?
Ans: Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
65. Name the bank set up in 1969 by the Government of India with the main objective of rehabilitating repatraints from Burma and Sri Lanka?
Ans: Repco Bank
66. In which state of USA is the famous ‘Death Valley’ situated?
67. The famous Galilean moons are the satellites of which planet?
68. Which Indian state is best known for monazite sands, source of thorium?
69. The Ukai reservoir is built across the river _____?
70. Which country was the first to be granted a loan by the World Bank?
71. Which part of the human body absorbs oxygen directly from the air?
Ans: Cornea of eye
72. Where in India is Flame of Freedom (Swatantra Tyothi) lit?
Ans: The Cellular Jail in Andamans
73. Who presented the first budget in Indian history?
Ans: Sir James Wilson
74. Which was the first Indian State to institute a Disaster Management Authority?
75. Which mineral has the relative hardness of 10 in the Mobs Scale?
76. Who was the first judge against whom the impeachment proceedings were started in Loksabha?
Ans: Justice V. Ramaswamy
77. For the God of Small Things Arundhathi Roy was awarded which prize in the year 2004.
Ans: Sydney Peace prize
78. Which place in India did Albuquerque conquer in 1510?
79. The national flag of India was designed by:
Ans: Pingali Venkkayya
80. Rocket Propellant Plant (RPP), Thumba was commissioned in the year.
81. Fidel Castro has served as the president of Cuba for approximately:
Ans: 30 years
82. The book Poverty and Unbritish Rule in India was written by:
Ans: Dadhabai Naoroji
83. The chakra at the centre of the National Flag was:
Ans: 24 spokes
84. The first session of UN was held at:
85. Tripoli agreement is also known as:
Ans: Libya Accord
86. Who was the author of the book Suitable Boy?
Ans: Vikram Seth
87. Who holds the world record for maximum number of song recordings?
Ans: Laths Mangeshkar
88. The first Indian to win an individual gold medal in the Olympics was:
Ans: Abhinav Bindra
89. Goa liberation day is celebrated on:
Ans: 18th June
90. The Indian National Song was first published in:
Ans: Ananda Math
91. The news paper Bengali started by Surendra Nath Banerjee was in which language?
92. Who was the first person to reach South Pole was:
Ans: Captain Amundsen
93. Which book has been printed in the maximum number of languages?
Ans: The Bible
94. Self help title ‘you can win’ has been written by:
Ans: Shiv khera
95. In which year was Abdul khaffer khan awarded Bharath Ratna?
96. Edward Jenner was the founder of:
97. Templeton awards are conferred in the field of:
98. Who has been awarded the Oscar for Lifetime Achievement in cinema?
Ans: Satyajith Rai.
99. Indian national calendar was adopted in:
100. Who were the first Indian women to sail around the world?
Ans: Ujjwala Rai
101. Who were the decedents of original inhabitants of India?
102. Which is the largest union territory in India?
Ans: Andaman Nicobar
103. Who was the last governor general of free India?
Ans: C. Rajagopalachari
104. Who was served as the president of International Court of Justice?
Ans: Nagendra Singh
105. Which is the India’s first experimental Geo stationary Satellite?
106. Bhaba Atomic Research Centre is located at:
107. Indian Tsunami Early Warning Centre (ITEWC) was set up in the year?
108. Asia’s first atomic power station is located in:
109. The preamble of the UN charter was prepared by:
Ans: Jan Smuts
110. Sabir Bhatia is most closely associated with:
Ans: Hot Mail
111. Who was the founder of Green Belt Movement?
Ans: Wangari Maathai
112. The first Indian women to receive the Raman Magsaysay Award was:
Ans: Mother Theresa
113. The Chief of Army Staff holds the rank of:
114. The first test tube baby in India delivered at which hospital?
Ans: King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
115. By whom was Abraham Lincoln assassinated?
Ans: John Wilks Booth
116. Who was the founder of Nazi Party?
Ans: Adolf Hitler
117. Which type of machine was Charles Babbage’s first invention?
118. Who was also called lady with a lamp?
Ans: Florence Nightingale
119. Who was the first woman to receive the Nobel Prize?
Ans: Mary Curie
120. How many countries participated in the first Asian Games held in 1951?
121. The airline of Germany is called?
123. The birth anniversary of Fakruddin Ali Ahmed was celebrated as:
Ans: Solidarity day
124. Worlds largest railway platform was situated in:
125. Who was the first Muslim woman to sit on the throne of Delhi?
Ans: Razia Sulthana
126. Who was the first Indian to climb Mount Everest?
Ans: Tensing Noergay
127. Which is the longest tunnel in India?
Ans: Pir panjal
128. Largest zoo in India is situated at:
129. Who is considered as the founding father of Indian space programme?
Ans: Dr. Vikram Sarabhai
130. The National Institute of Immunology was located at:
Ans: New Delhi
131. Who was the first Secretary General of Commonwealth?
Ans: Arnold smith
132. Which is the largest constituency in terms of area?
133. The first book by an Indian writer to receive booker prize was:
Ans: God of small things
134. Vande Mataram was originally composed in which language?
135. Which is the last month of Indian national calendar?
136. The congress lost the loksbha elections for the first time in:
137. Which state was started Janbhagidara scheme
Ans : Madhya Pradesh
138. The book Edward Vijayam written by
Ans : K.P.Karuppan
139. Similipal National Park situated in
Ans : orissa
140. The First Rubber Dam in India situated at which State
Ans : Madhya Pradesh
141.The smallest butterfly of india
Ans : The grass jewel
142. Pench National Park situated in
Ans : Madhya Pradesh
143. First malayali to get Padmavibhushan
Ans : V. K.Krishnamenon
144. First malayali to get Padmabhushan
Ans : Vallathol Narayana Menon
145. First malayali to get padmashree
Ans : Prakash Vargheese Benjamin
146. The term Preethibhojanam is related to
Ans : Vagbhadanandan
147. Mission Indradhanush is related to
Ans : Child Vaccination
148. The Article which related to Impeachment of President
Ans : Article 61
149. Dachigam National Park situated in
Ans :Jammu and Kashmir
150. Sagar Mala Project is related to
Ans : Modernisation of ports
151. Dona Paula Port situated in
Ans : Goa
152.The president of 1889 INC Conference
Ans : William Wedderbun
153. Head Quarters of International Atomic Energy Agency is
Ans : London
154. Sukanya Samridhi Account can be opened from
Ans : Post office and Public sector banks
155. The voice of the Art book written by
Ans : Mrinalini Sarabhai
156. Ranthambore National Park situated in
Ans : Rajasthan
157. The three East flowing Rivers in Kerala
Ans : Kabani,Bhavani,Pambar
158. The length of Kabani River
Ans : 240 km(in Kerala 57 km)
159.The length of Bhavani River
Ans : 217 km( in Kerala 38 km)
160. The length of Pambar River
Ans : 31km ( in Kerala 25 km)
161. The longest east flowing River in Kerala
Ans : Kabani
162. The smallest east flowing River in Kerala
Ans : Pambar
163. Kabani River orginates from which place
Ans : Thondarmudi
164. Bhavani River orginates from which place
Ans : Siruvani(Palakkad)
165. Pambar River originates from which place
Ans : Benmore
166. The only river from Kerala which flows to Karnataka
Ans : Kabani
167. The another name of Kabani River is
Ans : Kapila
168. The another name of Pambar River is
Ans : Thalayar
169. The place where Kabani River merges into Kaveri River
Ans : Thirumakkudal
170. The major tributaries of Bhavani River
Ans : Siruvani River and Varayar
171. The major tributaries of Pambar River
Ans :Eravikulam,Chengalar and Myladi
172. Largest Earth Dam in India Banasura Sagar Dam(wayanad) situated in
Ans : Kabani River
173. Kuruva Island (Wayanad) is situated in
Ans : Kabani River
174. The River which flowing through Attapadi
Ans : Siruvani River
175. The water fall situated in Pambar River
Ans : Thoovanam Waterfall
176. The River which flows through Chinnar wildlife Sanctuary
Ans : Pambar
177. The person who says that “sanitation is more important than independence”
Ans : Gandhiji
178. Brand Ambassador of “Beti bachao,Beti padhao” campaign
Ans : Madhuri dixit
179. ICDS was launched on
Ans : 1975 October 2
180. What is the full form of BRGF
Ans : Backward Regional Grant Fund
181. Make in India campaign is completely control by
Ans : central government of India
182. New name of Aajeevika skills development programme
Ans : Deen dayal upadhyaya grameen kaushalya yojana
183. The first fully blood donation panchayat in Kerala
184. Telegram service in India stopped in
Ans :2013 July 14
185. The book Prisoner 5990 is written by
Ans ; R.Balakrishna pillai
186. The number of languages in the 8th Schedule
Ans : Twenty two
187. The smallest island in lakshadweep
Ans : Bitra
188. Pazhassi Tourism Centre is situated in
Ans : wayanad
189. Golden temple of dambulla is situated in
Ans :Sri Lanka
190. The director of the film vigatha kumaran
Ans : J.C.Daniel
191. Computer chip is also know as
Ans : Micro chip
192.The first bank in India get ISO Certificate
Ans : canara bank
193. The biggest pass in Kerala
Ans : palakkad Pass
194. The autobiography of :puthuppally raghavan
Ans : Viplava smaranagal
195. The biggest library in the World
Ans : library of congress (USA )
196. The National library is situated in
Ans : Kolkata
197. The winner of Hridaynath Mangeshkar Award 2016
Ans : Viswanathan Anand
198. The bookWandering in Many Worlds is written by
Ans : Justice V.R.Krishna Iyar
199. The winner of the 2016 US Master Golf title
Ans : Danny Willet
200. ‘Sreenikethan Experiment’ was introduced by
Ans : Rabendranath Tagore
If this post helped you please feel free to share with your friends.