PSC Lecturer in English Model Questions and Answers
51. What was the first title of W.B. Yeats’s “The Second Coming” ?
(A) The Second Birth (B) The Apocalypse Gyre
(C) The Rebirth (D) The Widening
52. The title of the third section of Eliot’s The Waste Land is ……………..
(A) A Game of Chess (B) Death by Water
(C) The Burial of the Dead (D) The Fire Sermon
53. The meaning of the word “simples” in “Church Going” :
(A) Herbs (B) Irish coins
(C) Stones (D) Articles
54. Which King opposed Thomas Becket ?
(A) Henry II (B) Henry IV
(C) Henry VI (D) Henry VIII
55. In Pygmalion, Henry Higgins was professor of ………………
(A) Linguistics (B) Literature
(C) Grammar (D) Phonetics
56. Which is the subtitle of the English version of Waiting for Godot ?
(A) a comedy in two acts (B) a tragedy in two acts
(C) a comedy (D) a tragicomedy in two acts
57. Stanley Webber was a former ……………. in The Birthday Party.
(A) Drum Player (B) Piano Player
(C) Organ Player (D) Opera Singer
58. What is the name of Stephen Dedalus’s father ?
(A) Simon (B) Charles
(C) Cranly (D) Henry
59. When did Paul Morel become his mother’s favourite ?
(A) after his birth (B) after his affair with Clara
(C) after the birth of Arthur (D) after the death of William
60. The young painter who begins a portrait of Mrs. Ramsay :
(A) Minta (B) Mrs. McNab
(C) Lily (D) Cam
61. “Theory of Rasa” is taken from …………….
(A) Atharvaveda (B) Natyasastra
(C) Upanishad (D) Dhammapada
62. Aristotle’s Poetics is specifically concerned with …………….
(A) tragedy (B) comedy
(C) drama (D) epic
63. “On the Sublime” was written by :
(A) Plato (B) Aristotle
(C) Longinus (D) Horace
64. According to Dr. Johnson, “Shakespeare is above all writers, at least above all modern writers, the poet of ……………..”
(A) mankind (B) divinity
(C) love (D) nature
65. “Willing suspension of disbelief” figures in ……………
(A) Preface to the Fables (B) Study of Poetry
(C) Preface to the Lyrical Ballads (D) Biographia Literaria
66. Who authored Anatomy of Criticism ?
(A) Northrop Frye (B) Matthew Arnold
(C) T.S. Eliot (D) Cleanth Brooks
67. According to Viktor Shklovsky, the technique of art is to make objects :
(A) familiar (B) unfamiliar
(C) habitual (D) aesthetic
68. In classical thought the centre is within the structure and outside it because, according to Derrida, the centre escapes ……………..
(A) episteme (B) play
(C) rupture (D) structurality
69. In “What is an author ?”, Foucault considers …………….. as characteristic of the mode of existence, circulation and functioning of certain discourses within a society and he analyses it elaborately.
(A) author (B) authorship
(C) author-function (D) ownership
70. Who can write Dalit literature, according to Sharankumar Limbale ?
(A) a Dalit (B) any writer
(C) a varna (D) an avarna
71. In philology, Grimm’s law gives systematic statements on :
(A) Sound change (B) Vowels
(C) Consonants (D) Allophones
72. Old English is also known as :
(A) Celtic (B) Teutonic
(C) Gaelic (D) Anglo-Saxon
73. In which dialect was Beowulf written ?
(A) Wessex (B) Sussex
(C) Manx (D) Angles
74. The Norman Conquest of England took place in ……………… Century.
(A) 9th (B) 10th
(C) 11th (D) 12th
75. Through the Great Vowel Shift, all Middle English …………….. changed their pronunciation.
(A) long vowels (B) short vowels
(C) semi vowels (D) diphthongs