PSC Higher Secondary School Teacher in History Model Questions & Answers
Here is the model questions and answers for Kerala Public Service Commission Higher Secondary School Teacher [HSST] in History examination.
PSC Higher Secondary School Teacher in History Model Questions & Answers
1. The Autobiography of Justice V. R. Krishna Iyer is
(A) Prabhuddha Bharata (B) Karma Yogi
(C) Wandering in Many Worlds (D) Common Weal
2. The first Travelogue in Malayalam language named Varthamana Pusthakam was written by
(A) Paremakkil Thoma Kattanar (B) Varghese Vaidhyan Kattanar
(C) Kanai Thomman (D) Marthoma Kattanar
3. To which field is ‘KIRAN’ related ?
(A) Energy sector (B) Female scientist
(C) Film industry (D) Environment
4. In which year the Travancore government issued orders permitting the Channar women to wear jacket and pinafore made of raw cotton ?
(A) 1857 (B) 1858
(C) 1856 (D) 1859
5. Jaikumar Garg has been appointed as MD and CEO of which Central Government owned bank ?
(A) Corporation Bank (B) SBT
(C) SBI (D) Corporate Bank
6. The social reform leader from Tamil Nadu who arrived at Vaikom during the Satyagraha?
(A) V. V. Giri (B) karuna Nidhi
(C) E. V. Ramerwari Naikar (D) Mooppanar
7. Which of the following is the lowest point of Africa ?
(A) Lake Tangunjika (B) Lake Chad
(C) Lake Malawi (D) Lake Assal
8. The research work in the field of linguistic written by Chattampi Swamikal ?
(A) Vedanta (B) Adi Bhasham
(C) Advanitam (D) Bhasham
9. The famous drama written by K. Damodaran was
(A) Red Volunteer (B) Inquilab Zindabad
(C) Manjari (D) Pattabakki
10. Write the abbreviated form of ICHR ?
(A) Indian Centre for Historical Research
(B) International Council for Historical Research
(C) Indian Council for Historical Research
(D) International Centre for Historical Research
11. The type of research that makes use of systematic procedures to discover non-quantifiable relationships between existing variables is
(A) Historical Research (B) Qualitative Descriptive Research
(C) Experimental Research (D) Action Research
12. An expert teacher is one who
(A) Knows the content of the subject they teach
(B) Knows to relate the content to the world outside
(C) Knows to keep students involved in learning
(D) All of the above
13. The pretest-posttest equivalent groups design is a type of
(A) Pre-experimental design (B) True-experimental design
(C) Quasi-experimental design (D) Factorial design
14. Subdividing the population in to smaller homogenous groups to get more accurate representation is
(A) Systematic sampling (B) Area sampling
(C) Stratified random sampling (D) Cluster sampling
15. Teaching efficacy means a teacher’s belief
(A) in her teaching abilities and skills
(B) that she can reach even difficult students to help them learn
(C) in her subject competency
(D) that she is a successful reflective practitioner
16. An evaluation tool that communicates the achievements of individual students over time
(A) Portfolios (B) Achievement Test
(C) Graphic Organiser (D) Rubric
17. The characteristic that distinguishes descriptive research from assessment and evaluation is
(A) Hypothesis formulation
(B) Hypothesis formulation and testing
(C) Analysis of the relationships between non-manipulated variables
(D) Development of generalisation
18. The area where the child cannot solve a problem alone, but can be successful under adult guidance
(A) Zone of potential development
(B) Zone of actual development
(C) Zone of proximal development
(D) Zone of cultural development
19. A well written introduction of a research report must have
(A) a clear statement of the problem
(B) a review of previous literature on the topic
(C) a formal statement of each hypothesis
(D) all of the above
20. The composite of ideas, feelings and attitudes people have about themselves is termed
(A) Self-concept (B) Self-esteem
(C) Autonomy (D) Initiative
21. With respect to the Constitution of India, consider the following :
1) Fundamental Rights
2) Fundamental Duties
3) Directive Principles of State Policy.
Which of the above is/are fulfilled by the National Social Assistance Programme launched by the Government of India ?
(A) Only 1)
(B) Only 2)
(C) 1) and 3)
(D) 2) and 3)
22. What does the 104th Constitutional Amendment Bill related to ?
(A) Abolition of legislative councils in certain states
(B) Providing quota to socially and economically backward classes in private educational institutions
(C) Introduction of dual citizenship for persons of Indian origin abroad
(D) Allotting quota for religious minorities in central government service
23. Who was the Chief Justice of India when public interest litigation was introduced to the Indian Judicial System ?
(A) M. Hidayathullah (B) A. M. Ahmedi
(C) A. S. Anand (D) P. N. Bhagavati
24. Read the following statements :
1) The Governor of Punjab is concurrently the administrator of Chandigarh.
2) The Governor of Kerala is concurrently the administrator of Lakshadweep.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are correct ?
(A) Only 1) (B) Only 2)
(C) Both 1) and 2) (D) Neither 1) nor 2)
25. Consider the following statements :
1) Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) was set up during the Prime Ministership of Lal Bahadur Shastri.
2) The members of CAT are drawn from both judicial and administrative streams.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are true ?
(A) Only 1) (B) Only 2)
(C) Both 1) and 2) (D) Neither 1) nor 2)
26. In India the first law for transplantation of Human organs was passed in the year
(A) 2011 (B) 2009
(C) 1998 (D) 1994
27. As per the Mihir Shah Committee Report, the average annual days of work per person generated under MGNREGA since inception has never exceeded.
(A) 46 days (B) 52 days
(C) 57 days (D) 66 days
28. Which are the special target groups in Antyodaya Anna Yojana ?
(A) Poorest of the poor (B) Poor and non-poor
(C) Backward classes (D) None of these
29. Which was the first country in the world to have enacted a legislation for providing for citizens ‘RTI’ ?
(A) Switzerland (B) France
(C) Sweden (D) USA
30. The National Green Tribunal Act, 2010 was enacted in consonance with which of the following provisions of the Constitution of India ?
(A) Right to healthy environment, construed as a part of Right to Life under Article 21
(B) Provision of grants for raising the level of administration in scheduled areas for the welfare of STs under Article 275(1)
(C) Powers and functions of Grama Sabha as mentioned under Article 243(A)
(D) None of the above
31. ‘All history is contemporary history’. Who defined history thus ?
(A) Collingwood (B) Karl Marx
(C) Beneditto Croce (D) Peter Burke
32. Toponomy is the study of
(A) Inscriptions (B) place names
(C) Seals (D) Fossils
33. The scientific study of seals is called
(A) Epigraphy (B) Archaeology
(C) Diplomatic (D) Sigillography
34. Which among the following is meant for proving the authenticity of the document ?
(A) External criticism (B) Internal criticism
(C) Synthetic operation (D) None of the above
35. Stratigraphy is associated with
(A) Archaeology (B) Epigraphy
(C) Paleography (D) None of the above
36. ‘Long Duree’ is the concept popularised by
(A) Ladurie (B) Philip Aries
(C) Fernand Braudel (D) Roger Chartier
37. Who among the following is not a Marxist historian ?
(A) George Rude (B) Perry Anderson
(C) E. P. Thompson (D) Edward Gibbon
38. Which of the following books deals with the history of Menochio, a village miller of 15th century Italy ?
(A) Cheese and worms (B) Montaillou
(C) The Great Cat Massacre (D) None of the above
39. Which of the following historians is not associated with the Feudalism Debate in Indian Historiography ?
(A) D. D. Kosambi (B) Partha Chatterjee
(C) Herbans Mukhia (D) R. S. Sharma
40. Which of the following is not a work of Sumith Sarkar ?
(A) Modern India
(B) The Swadeshi Movement in Bengal
(C) Writing Social History
(D) A possible India
41. Altamira, the historical site from where cave paintings prehistoric period have been discovered is located in
(A) France (B) England
(C) Germany (D) Spain
42. The term ‘Urban Revolution’ was used by Gordon childe in his book
(A) What Happened in History
(B) New Light on the most Ancient Near East
(C) Man Makes Himself
(D) The Bronze Age
43. Who among the following deciphered the Cuneiform script ?
(A) Champollion (B) Rawlinson
(C) James Prinsep (D) Arthur Evans
44. ‘The Great Transformation’ is written by
(A) Karl Polyani (B) Marshall Sahlin
(C) Perry Anderson (D) Elman R. Service
45. Who were the ‘Samurais’ ?
(A) Warlords of Japan (B) Members of Warrior class
(C) Buddhist Monks (D) Landlords of Japan
46. What is Niagara movement ?
(A) A movement for Women’s emancipation
(B) A movement for white slave emancipation
(C) A movement for Negro emancipation
(D) A movement for Red Indian Women’s freedom
47. Hitler’s invasion of Soviet union was given the code name
(A) Operation Thunder (B) Operation Sky Lion
(C) Operation Sea Lion (D) Operation Barbarossa
48. The Book through which Copernicus propounded the notion that sun is at the centre of the universe
(A) ‘The Revolution of Heavenly Bodies’
(B) ‘Novum Organum’
(C) ‘Principia Mathematica’
(D) ‘The Discourse on Method’
49. ‘Kitab-al-Ibar’ (Universal History) is the work of
(A) Ibn Khaldun (B) Ibn Batuta
(C) Al-Masudi (D) Albiruni
50. Which of the following automobile company is associated with Adolf Hitler ?
(A) Ford (B) Volks wagen
(C) Nissan (D) Honda
51. Which of the following is not a site of Indus Valley Civilization ?
(A) Kot-diji (B) Bimbetka
(C) Dholawira (D) Lothal
52. Arrange in Chronological sequence the following travellers’ visit to India.
1) Ibn Batuta
(A) 3, 2, 1, 4 (B) 1, 2, 3, 4
(C) 2, 3, 4, 1 (D) 4, 3, 2, 1
53. ‘Kalavu’ and ‘Karpu’ are terms associated with
(A) Barter System (B) Social Division
(C) Marriage System (D) None of the above
54. Which of the following is not included in Ettutokai works ?
(A) Patittupathu (B) Akananuru
(C) Nattinai (D) Thirukkural
55. Which is the earliest Neolithic site in India ?
(A) Lothal (B) Sind
(C) Nalgonda (D) Mehergarh
56. Sargon inscription of Sumeria refers to Indus Valley as
(A) Hind (B) Makan
(C) Meluha (D) Akkad
57. The term used in Vedas to denote cattle lifting
(A) Gopathi (B) Gavishti
(C) Godhuli (D) Gomatha
58. ‘Majma-al-Bahrain’, the Persian work, deals with the essential unity between Islam and Hinduism. Who among the following is the author of the work ?
(A) Dara Shukov (B) Nizamudhin Auliya
(C) Ziaudhin Barani (D) Gulbadan Begum
59. Who put-forth the hypothesis of urban revolution in North India during the Sultanate period ?
(A) K. M. Ashraf (B) Moreland
(C) Mohamed Habib (D) K. S. Lal
60. Which of the following work of Krishna Devaraya was written in Telugu language ?
(A) Ratnamalika (B) Raghuvamsha
(C) Mahanataka Sudhaniti (D) Amuktamalyada
61. ‘Neel Darpan’, the drama that depicts the woes of Indigo peasants was written by
(A) Vasubandhu Mitra (B) Surendranath Sen
(C) Bankim Chandra (D) Debendranath Tagore
62. Who was the first nationalist leader to call 1857 revolt as an organized war for national independence ?
(A) Subhas Chandra Bose (B) V. D. Savarkar
(C) Lala Lajpath Rai (D) Jawaharlal Nehru
63. ‘The congress is tottering to its fall and one of my great ambition while in India is to assist it to a peaceful demise’. Who made this observation ?
(A) Lord Dalhousie (B) Petwick Lawrence
(C) Lord Curzon (D) Lord Canning
64. ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’, the national song of Bangladesh was composed by
(A) Soumendranath Tagore (B) Surendranath Banerjee
(C) Arabindo Gosh (D) Rabindranath Tagore
65. Who among the following was associated with the nationalist newspaper ‘Al-Hilal’ ?
(A) Hazrath Mohani (B) Abul Kalam Azad
(C) Sir Syed Ahmad Khan (D) Moulana Muhammadali
66. Who among the following was not included in the INA prisoners tried at Red Fort in Delhi ?
(A) Rashbihari Bose (B) Sha Nawaz Khan
(C) Prem Seghal (D) Gurdayal Sing Dhillon
67. Which of the following is the autobiography of Jawaharlal Nehru ?
(A) My Struggles
(B) An Autobiography of an unknown Indian
(C) An Autobiography
(D) My Experiments with Truth
68. Of the following forts established by the Europeans in India, which one was located at Madras ?
(A) Fort St. David (B) Fort William
(C) Fort Louis (D) Fort St. George
69. Who among the following was a member of the state Re-organization commission appointed by Jawaharlal Nehru ?
(A) Dr. Ambedkar (B) V. P. Menon
(C) K. M. Panikkar (D) K. M. Munshi
70. Who attended all the three Round Table Conferences ?
(A) M. M. Malavya (B) Vallabhabhai patel
(C) Mahatma Gandhi (D) B. R. Ambedkar
71. Which of the following is a work on Tamil Grammer ?
(A) Pathupattu (B) Tolkapiyam
(C) Nattinai (D) Cilappathikaram
72. As per Mooshaka vamsha, the founder of Mooshaka dynasty is
(A) Srikantha (B) Srivallaba
(C) Ramaghata (D) Nannan
73. Of the following Swaroopams, which one was located at Calicut ?
(A) Nediyiruppu Swarupam
(B) Kolam Swaroopam
(C) Tripapur Swaroopam
(D) Perumpadappu Swaroopam
74. Which of the following is the Kannada counterpart of Keralolpathi in Malayalam ?
(A) Kerala Mahatmyam (B) Gramapadathi
(C) Sankarasmriti (D) Sankara Narayaniyam
75. Who among the following first discovered the Edakkal cave engravings ?
(A) Babington (B) Mortimer Wheeler
(C) Robert Bruce Foote (D) F. Fawcett
76. Who among the following is not involved in the debate about the nature of state during the Perumal period ?
(A) Elamkulam Kunjan Pillai (B) Kesavan Veluthat
(C) K. M. Panikkar (D) M. G. S. Narayanan
77. Unnuneeli Sandesam refers to the Tamil ship that frequented the Kollam fort. Which of the following was this ?
(A) Chonadan (B) Chongu
(C) Champrani (D) Nanadesikal
78. The Archaeologist associated with the excavation at Porkalam in 1947 is
(A) K. V. Raman (B) B. K. Thapar
(C) Mortimer Wheeler (D) Robert Bruce Foote
79. The Sufi devotional work composed by Qazi Muhammed during the medieval period
(A) Rifai Mala (B) Fathul Mubin
(C) Muhiyudhin Mala (D) Tuhfath-ul-Mujahideen
80. The Granthavari associated with Trikandiyur Temple in Tirur is
(A) Mathilakam Granthavari (B) Kavalappara Granthavari
(C) Kozhikode Granthavari (D) Vanjeri Granthavari
81. ‘Travancore State Manual’ was composed by
(A) William Logan (B) Shangoony Menon
(C) Padmanabha Menon (D) V. Nagam Aiya
82. Under the state Re-organisation Act of 1956, four southern Taluks were merged with Madras state. Which of the following was not one of these four Taluks ?
(A) Agastiswaram (B) Kalkulam
(C) Neyyatinkara (D) Tovala
83. According to Mahatma Gandhi, ‘it is a Smriti which is the people’s charter of spiritual emancipation’. The reference here is about
(A) Slavery Abolition Act (B) Temple Entry Proclamation
(C) Abolition of Sati (D) Kundara Proclamation
84. Who among the following was associated with the nationalist daily ‘Al-Ameen’ ?
(A) Mohamed Abdurahiman (B) Vakkom Moulavi
(C) Hamadani Tangal (D) Makti Tangal
85. Who among the following was the only Malayalee President of Indian National Congress?
(A) K. P. Kesava Menon (B) C. Sankaran Nair
(C) M. P. Narayana Menon (D) K. Kelappan
86. Kuberan Nambudiripad is the character of the novel
(A) Kundalatha (B) Indulekha
(C) Saraswati Vijayam (D) Ghataka Vadham
87. Who was the Defence Minister of India when Goa was liberated and integrated with India ?
(A) V. P. Menon (B) John Mathai
(C) Sardar Patel (D) V. K. Krishna Menon
88. After partition, a Malayali Muslim served as Pakisthan’s Ambassador to Egypt. The reference here is about
(A) Abdurahiman Ali Raja (B) Abdul Sathar Sait
(C) Mohamed Abdurahiman (D) K. M. Seethi Sahib
89. The Malayali revolutionary who served as Foreign Minister of the provisional Govt. of free India set up at Kabul in 1915.
(A) Vanchi Iyer (B) Capt. Lakshmi
(C) Chempaka Raman Pillai (D) Vakkom Kader
90. ‘Varthamana Pusthakam’, the first travel account Malayalam was written by
(A) Kariyattil Ouseph Kattanar
(B) Herman Gundert
(C) Arnose Pathiri
(D) Paremakkil Thoma Kattanar
91. Which of the following deals with the oral history of partition ?
(A) The other side of silence
(B) Dominance without hegemony
(C) Freedom at midnight
(D) The other side of the Medal
92. The celebrated work, ‘Centuries of Childhood’ argues that there was no childhood in Europe before 17th century. Who composed this work ?
(A) George Duby (B) Philip Aries
(C) Marc Bloch (D) Lucien Febre
93. Who propounded the theory that these exists a nexus between power and knowledge
(A) Louis Althusser (B) Karl Marx
(C) Michael Foucault (D) Marc Bloch
94. Which of the following is not a work of E. J. Hobsbawm ?
(A) Age of Capital (B) Age of Revolution
(C) Age of Extreme (D) Age of Reason
95. ‘The Unquite Woods’, a leading book on environmental history of India was written by
(A) Madav Gadgil (B) C. A. Bayly
(C) Ramachandra Guha (D) Bipin Chandra
96. The author of the recent work, ‘Modernity of Slavery : Struggle against caste inequality in colonial Keralam’.
(A) T.T. Sreekumar (B) Sanal Mohan
(C) Michael Tharakan (D) S. Raju
97. Which of the following historical novels is not written by K. M. Panikkar ?
(A) Punarkottu Swarupam (B) Parankipatayali
(C) Dharma Raja (D) Kerala Simham
98. Who is the British Marxist Historian who wrote about Malabar Rebellion ?
(A) Lawrence Lopez (B) Robin Jeffery
(C) Stephen Dale (D) Conrad Wood
99. Which among the following is not a work of Romila Thapar ?
(A) Interpreting Early India
(B) Indian Feudalism
(C) Past and Prejudice
(D) Asoka and the Decline of Mouryas
100. ‘Walking Naked : Women, society and spirituality in South India’ is written by
(A) Robert Sewell (B) Kumkum Roy
(C) Vijaya Ramaswamy (D) Tanika Sarkar